Thursday, October 1, 2009

Watch your speed near YSI

This from the Senior Center's Transportation Coordinator via Director Rodney Bean:

If you're like me, when you drive south on Xenia Ave. through town, you are used to the 35 mph speed limit until you get just past YSI, then are accustomed to speeding up to 55. Just in the past few days, the sign that used to say 55 mph has been replaced by one saying 45 mph, so pay attention! The 55 speed limit doesn't start now until past the flashing light at Hyde Rd. And, of course, the same thing applies coming north from Xenia.

I think that this change is due to a new Ohio law that requires changes in speed limit by more than 20 mph to have a transition zone, but it probably also makes sense because of the dangers of the Hyde Rd. intersection. I expect that there is probably something similar at the north end of town and also on Fairfield, but I haven't been out that way lately.

Barbara Mann

(No, I didn't get a ticket!)

Editor's note: I wanted to do a piece on this when I first started working at the News a few years ago, but they weren't interested. Eventually, I wrote something about it on my other blog The Chronicles of Kresge: Three different MPH signs in less than 3/10 of a mile.

3 comments:

Les Groby said...

Perhaps the News rejected your story because your premise is wrong. The yellow 45 sign is an advisory speed sign, not a speed limit sign, which are always black on white. The speed limit at that point is still 55. Having the 55 sign just past the last 35 sign is a good idea, in my opinion, because it lets motorists know exactly where they may legally speed up. We need the same signage over here on westbound Fairfield Pike. The speed limit goes up at the village boundary from 25 to, I guess, 55, but there is no sign marking where it changes, and residents on that end of Fairfield have often complained of cars speeding up before reaching the edge of the village. It would help to have a 35 sign just inside the boundary and a 55(?) sign a few yards down the road, just outside, to make it obvious where the change takes place.

Virgil Hervey said...

The editors didn't know anything more about speed signs than I did. They rejected the story because it was "outside the village limits." Thanks for the information. But I think 55 mph past the entrance to the Springs Motel and approaching a flashing yellow was too fast, anyway. There have been a lot of accidents at that intersection. Now that it's 45 mph maybe that will help. Personally, I'd like to see a red light there.

Anonymous said...

let me get this straight....the News rejected covering a story that is about the township in which Yellow Springs is located and concerns cars advancing toward and leaving from YS only a few hundred feet from the official village limits?