Thursday, August 27, 2009

Have a nice staycation?

This from a reader:

All summer I’ve been hearing about “staycations.” So, I finally decided it was time for a Google visit to get a real definition. I didn’t think this would be too difficult, but the first snag was just understanding the words in the definition. Wikipeida told me that “staycation is a neologism.” So, it’s “a newly coined word that may be in the process of entering common use, but has not been accepted into mainstream language.” Hmm, that certainly clears it up. Also a bit perplexing, because Google showed 1,490,000 references to “staycation” – sounds like maybe it has been accepted into mainstream language.

After getting by neologism, the definition of a “staycation” is pretty much what you’d expect – “a vacation that you take at home.” The surprising thing was the number of articles with tips on planning a staycation, for example: how to relax during a staycation; or selecting the right awnings to make your backyard a perfect staycation; or a nature staycation; and finally, 37 fresh staycation ideas. Even Fodor’s, the world travel folks, have tips on their website. I didn’t realize staycations were so complicated – almost sounds like you need a travel agent to stay at home.

So now I’m thinking... how about a “stayversary” – a wedding anniversary where you stay at home, just enjoy each other’s company and maybe get a Clint Eastwood movie from the library when you go in to pick up the pizza and beer.

I explained all this to my wife last week. “Who needs some mushy card, flowers, gifts and dinner in some far off place just to show I love you”.

And her response was, “You’re kidding, right?”

So I explained, “It’s a neologism.”

And she said, “Make the reservations!”

...and I did.

No comments: