Saturday, July 31, 2010

"Springs," a wealth of art and information

I was driving by the "Springs" sign a couple days ago when something caught my eye. It was a new addition to the rear of Beth Holyoke's public art installation in Bill Duncan Park at the corner of Limestone and Dayton.

Beth has been working on the back side of the sign for a few weeks now and every few days there is something new. When I stopped, yesterday, to get a shot of the new piece in the bottom right corner, she happened to be there, working.

The rear of the sign is a history lesson about Bill Duncan and the park, and a glimpse at life in Yellow Springs for African Americans during his time, while at the same time being a fascinating collage of found art and ceramic chips. Every time I look at it, I find something new.

So I took a dozen shots and will post them here from time to time. And, as the work is not yet finished for Beth, I will be revisiting the sign for more photos.

Related posts:

Springs sign gets reverse treatment

Springs sculpture unveiled

1 comment:

Evan Scott said...

I absolutely love the Springs sign...and noticed the back coming to life over the last few weeks as well.

Love it and thanks for posting!

Evan