Saturday, July 17, 2010

In search of the perfect egg





I was sent to the store this week for a dozen eggs. Usually, I get specific shopping instructions and sometimes even the aisle number when the location isn’t obvious. I try not to get too rankled over the micro managed shopping trips – does she really think I can’t find Cheerios by myself?

So this week I’m standing in front of the egg display and, without instructions, I can’t figure out what to buy. Organic sounds good but so does cage free, farm fresh, free-range, omega-3 enhanced and vegetarian-fed. I’m still not sure about “vegetarian-fed”. Does that mean the farmer is a vegetarian? Maybe it just means the chickens eat only vegetarian food – I guess that would be “without the bugs.”

Just to make it interesting, I also had a choice of small, medium, large or extra large eggs. From prior experience, I feel confident going with the large eggs. I’m about ready to start looking inside the cartons to see if the eggs look any different when the cell rings.

“Where are my eggs?”

I start explaining the dilemma but don’t get a chance to finish.

“I need two eggs right now.”

I look around, hoping to catch Virgil in the store and maybe get some free advice. No such luck, so on my own, I go with the large, organic, free range eggs at more than twice the price of the farm fresh eggs. At least I won’t be accused of being cheap.

The chocolate chip cookies turned out fine. I’m feeling pretty good about shopping by myself.

A. Reader

No comments: