Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day Tripping: Touchdown Jesus

Canceled!

I wasn't planning on doing a piece on the destruction of the "Touchdown Jesus" statue at the Solid Rock Church along I-75 in the Middletown area by a lightning strike and subsequent fire last night. I failed to see the Yellow Springs connection. But so many readers have sent me links to this story that I can no longer ignore it. So here's the connection: The "Day Tripping" series we post every now-and-then, often contributed to by Blog readers, sometimes takes us past this venue. So here are the links the Blog readers sent in:

Dayton Daily News

Christian Science Monitor

Yahoo News


2 comments:

Les Groby said...

Drop kick me Jesus through the goal posts of life
End over end neither left nor to right
Straight through the heart of them righteous uprights
Drop kick me Jesus through the goal posts of life.

—Bobby Bare

Anonymous said...

honestly it was a stupid statue and people need to be smarter about simple thing like a 62 foot statue made out Styrofoam right next to a river ohh yeah that's not going to get hit by lighting. Act of god? No it was the tallest thing in the area that's flammable hope they learned a lesson. give the money to the homeless and the needy that's what Jesus wanted