Monday, May 20, 2013

Back Story: Talking 10-Minutes

It was heartening to see the fine turn out for the Center Stage open-to-the-public meeting, Saturday afternoon. Of course, it was heavily populated by the usual suspects, but there were also some enthusiastic, experienced newcomers there, offering some promising possibilities for the upcoming production of "Three Penny Opera" and, down the road, "The Women."

My interest, of course, is the annual 10-minute play festival, the third of which will be held this year on Oct. 25 & 26. According to the agenda, I am officially the "10-Minute Play Coordinator," and that is just fine with me. As such, I reported that I will be making an open call for scripts on or about June 1, with a submission deadline of the day after Labor day.

If you have ever attended one of the 10-minute play productions, the energy put forth by your friends and neighbors likely prompted you to think, I would like to try that. You could be thinking acting. writing or some other involvement. I know a lot of you have been thinking about writing a script, because some of you have mentioned it to me - and a few you have actually done it. But many of you, for whatever reason, have procrastinated - like two years in a row. Well now, you have had plenty of notice. Get writing! And try not to run too much over the 10-minute suggested limit. If you have already written something, don't be shy. Send it in.

You've got two ways to do this: email to gunchpress@yahoo.com or mail to Center Stage, P.O. Box 544, YSO. Don't be afraid of rejection. If your play doesn't make the cut, you will be let down easily, and with suggestions as to how you might improve your script. I look forward to reading your work.

-vh

No comments: