Sunday, May 12, 2013

7:00 p.m. Wednesday at the Library

The cosmos and other crap


It is my birthday.
I am fifty-five years old.
I am sitting here
contemplating the string theory
of the universe,
the reconciliation of the theories
of Bohr
and Einstein,
the concept of the basic makeup
of all things
that can bring us back
to just one second
after the Big Bang.
It is very complicated.
It requires the comprehension
of a world with ten dimensions,
when I can barely operate
in three.

My woman storms into the room.
"Am I the only one
in this house
who will clean a toilet?
What are you doing?"

"I'm contemplating
the string theory
of the universe,"
I tell her.

"Get off your lazy ass
and give me a hand!"

It is my birthday.
I am fifty-five years old.
Even on this day,
it is not for me
to comprehend
our creation.

-vh

Related post

No comments: