Saturday, April 16, 2011

Rogue Guinea Hen sighting

Jenny at the Little Art spotted the rogue Guinea Hen in Kieth's Alley late yesterday afternoon. As it turns out, according to Jenny, there were at least two when this saga started way-back-when, but one was killed by a dog. And there may be more, because sightings are occurring all over town. Yesterday evening, just a couple hours after Jenny called to report her sighting, Amy said she heard the bird in our backyard on Allen as she was locking up the chickens for the night. They make a distinct sound, so she is not likely mistaken.

To recap the places where Super Bird has been potted over the last month to six weeks: It started in the area of Herman St. and Livermore when there were reports of chickens running loose in the area. There soon followed reports of a strange looking bird in the company of two chickens, possibly roosters. A couple weeks later I received a call from the police dispatcher reporting chickens loose in that same area. A couple days later, Linda Rudawski emailed me that there were two chickens hanging around her yard in that neighborhood. I went over and tried to catch them, but was unsuccessful. A few days later she contacted me again about the strange looking bird in her neighbor's yard. I responded with my stepson and we were able to catch it and bring it back to my house on Allen St. But in my backyard, the cage we were holding it in came apart and she flew up into a tree. The next morning she was still there, but eventually disappeared. Within two days, I got a call from Shirley Kristensen on Meadow Lane, reporting that there was a turkey or Pea Hen in her backyard. After she described the bird, I determined that it was the rogue Guinea Hen. I tried on two successive days to catch it before finally giving up. In another day or so Mek Logan on Meadow reported the bird was in his yard. A few days later, Mary White spotted it on President St. and shortly after that Linda Rudowski called to say the bird was back in her neighbor's yard with a different rooster. She emailed a photo. That night I walked the dog over that way and saw the bird, without the rooster.

Most, if not all of this has been reported on the Blog. I'm not sure I know what to make of it. Shades of The Mothman Prophecies, I suppose... Sometimes there have been sightings as far as a half-mile apart within just a few hours. And then there is the business of her traveling companions. My research has told me that Guinea Hens like company and this one certainly seems to manage to find it everywhere she goes. But where are all these loose chickens coming from? While all this has been going on, I have been getting calls and emails about other loose chickens in diverse parts of town. I am happy to report that none of them have been mine.

Lock 'em up tight, folks!

No comments: