Friday, August 6, 2010

Running to a Walk





I was hoping that I could make it to 65 before hanging up my running shoes. But, after 35 years of being an early morning jogger, I’m now just an early morning walker. Too many things hurt, and continuing to run seemed likely to do more damage than good.

It was a difficult transition starting with how to dress and what shoes to wear. Do walkers call the shoe experts at Road Runner Sports to discuss things like pronation, stability control or forefoot cushioning? Probably not.

Joggers like to swap stories about running across the Golden Gate Bridge or through the streets of Cairo. Have you heard many good stories about a walk? I mean other than hiking the Appalachian Trail with Governor Sanford.

I’ve been a walker now for several years and no longer miss the running days – mostly because my knees don’t hurt. It’s actually fun to walk along the bike path or through the neighborhoods, expecting to see the same people at about the same time almost everyday. Even though I don’t know all their names, it’s a nice set of friends who offer a cheery greeting and occasionally take a few moments to stop and chat about the weather or flowers or the folks we haven’t seen for awhile.

Even though all of us talk about “running to the bank” or “running to the library”, I don’t know of anyone who actually does that. Walkers, on the other hand, can walk places to get things done and that’s a wonderful benefit of living in a small village with a vibrant, accessible business district.

Life in the slow lane - it really isn’t all the bad, especially in Yellow Springs.

A. Reader

No comments: