(Based on Thanksgiving 2008)
12 lb. Turkey at 325 degs. for 3.5 hours
Wash turkey, clean cavity with salt. Stuff cavity with apples and onions. Add a cup of water to bottom of roasting pan. Use a pan that will keep the turkey raised.
Baste with mixture of melted butter, basil, and white wine, then cover turkey with aluminum foil for first 2 hours. Brown for last 1 ½ hours.
Baste every 20 mins. Use fresh mixture for first hour, then continue to baste with drippings from pan. Add water if needed.
Basting Mixture: Melt ¼ lb of butter and add dried basil flakes and a couple dashes of dry white wine.
Substitute freely. Adjust cooking times for size of turkey approximately 20 min. per lb.
- Dice giblets, brown in butter and add to two jars of Heinz turkey gravy. Stir in drippings from pan and simmer for a few minutes.
- Stove Top Turkey Dressing (follow directions on box)
- Instant mashed potatoes (ditto)
- Wrap sweet potatoes in aluminum foil and place on rack with turkey for last 1 ½ hours.
- Get someone else to make the green beans.