Thursday, February 12, 2009

50+ mph winds - scattered outages

We lost our power on Allen Street at 11:30 p.m., just as the TV news was wrapping up. I would have unplugged the set right after that, but the outage hit before I had the chance. There was a bright flash outside my window and the TV and house lights flashed on and off a few times, before finally going dead.

A call in to the non-emergency number got my favorite dispatcher, Rita, on the line. She said she would add our address to the long list she already had. According to Rita, there were scattered outages all over the south end of town. A call to a trusty source on the north end revealed that they still had power.

Nothing to do but go to bed. "This is what I call going green," Amy said as we lay there in the dark.

An hour or two earlier, there was a sign of what was to come. Kalson was on World of Warcraft with his usual tribe or posse or whatever they call them. Now it comes to me: "Guild." He came upstairs to report that Kevin Mayer had suddenly dropped out of the game. A minute later, Kevin called on his cell phone to ask Kalson to tell the rest of the Guild that he had lost his power (over on State Route 373) and was done for the evening.

Our power came back on at about 12:45 a.m., waking me from a deep sleep I never was able to regain.

To make matters worse, bank security called at 5 a.m. to report that an alarm had apparently gone off. Amy had to get up and meet a YSPD officer at the branch where it was determined that there was no problem. It was probably the wind. She reported that one of the garbage cans had blown into the middle of the parking area. It's a good thing we only live two minutes from the bank.


jafabrit said...

Phew, that was SOME wind, it sounded like a monster crawling along the ground trying to claw its way into our house. We didn't lose power but we thought we might.

Virgil Hervey said...

The south end always seems to lose power before the rest of town. Or even when the rest of town doesn't. The pole in front of my house is still leaning toward the street a bit, after the September storm, and the wires in back are still drooping.