Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tonight's School Board meeting in a nutshell

Becuase I did not have proper notice, I began posting and sending around emails as information became available to me. As I have learned more, I can see that this resulted in a misplaced emphasis by me on why parents should attend the School Board meeting tonight at 6 p.m.

As it turns out, this meeting tonight is more important to all parents of Mills Lawn kids, bussed or not, because it involves a change in the school hours that is to take place right after winter vacation. While originally presented to me as being about conserving on school bus usage, it turns out it is about teacher planning time.

All those issues that were discussed at the open meeting are expected to be resolved by the Board at tonight's meeting. The Superintendent will be asking the Board to approve an MLS release time of 2:40 p.m. so teachers can schedule planning time and high school and elementary students can be bussed together.

Glismann told one parent that three weeks would be enough notice. What about those parents who cannot pick their kids up at 2:40?

I thought this issue was dead for the rest of the school year. So did every other parent I have talked to.

If it hadn't been for those couple little screw-ups, the GCCC bus schedule change without notice to parents and the bussing of little kids to Career Center before taking them home, we might not have known about all this.

See you tonight!

No comments: