Thursday, December 11, 2008

Reporter resigns

After two-and-a-half fun-filled years as a reporter for the Yellow Springs News, I have filed my last story. Two-and-a-half years! I tell myself I must be wrong. But no matter how I count it, it comes out the same. It seems more like two-and-a-half months.

When you write for a deadline every week, life flashes by like people in the windows of a subway train. Now you see them, now you don’t. It has made me appreciate even more what Diane Chiddister and Lauren Heaton do. I had only to write a story or two. They have to get out an entire paper every week.

My other job, Foundation Administrator of the Yellow Springs Community Foundation, is becoming more demanding of my time as the foundation takes an increasingly greater role in our community. If I give up my job at the paper, I reasoned, I may still have some time left to write for my own enjoyment. So I have cut the cord and I’m floating relatively free. Although, I will probably continue to carry my camera and notebook wherever I go. Old habits die hard.

I learned a lot at the paper, mostly how to discipline myself as a writer. But I also had a lot of fun hanging with a wonderfully loose bunch that would get goofier and goofier as the week wore on to late Tuesday night. It was a great environment in which to work.

Thanks to Diane and the News for the opportunity to play cub reporter at an advanced age. I will miss working with all of you. Fortunately, I’ll still see you around the burg.

2 comments:

jafabrit said...

all the best, and thanks for sharing your writing in the paper.

I of course will continue to enjoy your writing on your blogs :)

Virgil Hervey said...

Thanks. And I will continue to frequent your blogs as well.