Sunday, December 28, 2008

I too heard that loud-mufflered vehicle

My neighbor Ann Kent's eloquent and impassioned letter to the News this week, together with an incident in the police reports, has jogged my memory. One night last week I heard a car so loud I thought it was a grabage truck. It seemed to go up and down my street then stopped idling nearby. I looked out my window and saw a car stopped diagonally across the street from my house. The driver must have spotted me, because after a minute or so he drove off.

Other residents of the south side of town reported someone with a loud muffler driving around the neighborhood. Apparently that same night, two houses were burgled.

The guy was casing my house, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt, telling myself he was probably just lost - perhaps looking for a house number. I have often made light of those police reports where villagers report suspicious vehicles near their homes. The next time I will call the police non-emergency number. We are lucky to have local dispatchers. We should take advantage of them to keep our neighborhoods safe.

No comments: