Monday, January 19, 2009

Enough with the inauguration already!

Reuters photo of the 44th President of the United States

I voted for the man in the primaries. I voted for him in the election. I contributed financially to his campaign. I rooted hard on election eve and cheered teary-eyed when Ohio put him over the top. I am pleased to see that he has been taking care of business well before the inauguration and is ready to hit the ground running. You can call me a "supporter."

But this inauguration hoopla is getting to be too much for even me. If you've seen one inauguration, you have seen them all. The only difference here is that this one is going to be the most elaborate ever at a time when we should be pinching pennies.

The claim is that we will be witnessing history. Get over it! We witnessed history when Obama won the election. The rest is television grandiosity. Frankly, I am surprised that he would countenance it.

Will I tune in for the ceremony? Most likely I will, if I am near a TV. I can actually remember, as a kid, watching Ike get sworn in. I was eight years old. This is an opportunity to add another inauguration to my collection.

But I am also aware that Obama is just a man. Black or white, it should make no difference. And to me it doesn't. He has a hard road ahead. If he fails, it may diminish the significance of his electoral achievement and will certainly make a mockery of this over-the-top celebration for his detractors. I hope he is up to the task.

He is an elected official and for that I am glad. I am also glad that he is not our king, he nor any other man - glad that this is an inauguration, not a coronation.

No comments: