Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Backyard Flock: Message from a reader

More from Laura Van Lehn

Happy New Year!

I ended up getting 20 pullets, a variety of breeds. Buckeye, Plymouth Rock, Araucana, Buff Orpington, Hamburg and then we decided to trade roosters! Let me know if you too bought pullets from New Liberty and which you selected! I was thinking of having the Buckeye put in the freezer as he was kept by accident and said as much to the New Liberty people. Marc said he would like to try his luck breeding some Buckeyes so then he shocked me when he said the Buff Orpington rooster there was one of my 30 chicks they took in May! So, he seamed quiet enough I suggested we trade and Marc agreed. So when I went out the next day to pick up the last of the girls I took Mr. Buckeye with me. Marc saw him and was smitten. So we put Mr.Buckeye in a pen in the barn next to the pens of youngsters they are raising for meat. He said he would select some Buckeye hens to put in with him and let them raise some chicks. I hope he can perform his duty. He had not crowed yet. He has been very timid and still pretty low on the totempole. I hope his new hens don't beat him up too bad. I told Marc that if he didn't work out I would be happy to take him back as he has been no trouble at all. Marc said he would enjoy having him around the farm so we will see how it goes. I hope he is happy.

Marc brought the Buff Orpington out yesterday while I was working and I came home and found the new guy in the hen house! He was surrounded by his girlfriends from New Liberty so this may work out well.

So far I have not seen any challenging of one rooster to the other. Unfortunately the weather is not nice enough to let them out to run amuck. But they all seem to be getting along well. My little DeKalb Amberlink seems to be a bit out of place, yet I have seen even her take out after one of the new girls. The egg collection was 24 plus one broken. Several are quite small. I forgot already how they start out small!

Another difference in size of the new hens compared to my group is the legs of the new girls seam much smaller in circumference. Will be interesting to see how they grow!

The wind is very strong out here! My metal chicken sign was trying to blow off the house so I took it down.

Happy New Year!
Laura

Basket of blue eggs.

Photos by Laura Van Lehn

No comments: