Monday, December 26, 2011

The Morning After Christmas

(An ode to Rumpke)

T'was the morning after Christmas
And in Yellow Springs south
I was the only person
Awake in his house.

When much to my wonder
I heard such roar
I thought the F-16s
Must be flying o'er.

I went to the curb,
Looked down the street
And saw my neighbors' cans
Out in rows so neat.

Skip the recycling,
I thought in a huff.
Quick, get out the cans
With the stinky stuff!

I grabbed all the garbage
From the night before,
The wrapping paper,
Turkey bones and more.

In my pajamas,
I ran to the street,
Put out two cans
And the job was complete.

Back in the house
I pulled up the sash
And looked out the window
On my newly placed trash.

Just then I heard a rumble
And what did I see
But a dirty white truck
With the big red "Rumpke."

The driver got out,
A quite jolly ole elf
Who picked my rubbish
In spite of himself.

Then I heard him exclaim
As he drove down the street,
"I've got work to do
While the rest of you sleep."

-vh

1 comment:

Virgil Hervey said...

Rumpke just sent me an email, asking for permission to use this on their Facebook page!