Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Backyard Flock: Grand-Champion Rooster

For adoption to a good home
Not for the stew pot


Got this from Kat Krehbiel of New Liberty Farms a couple days ago. I was able to place one of these studs, but the other is still available:

It has been too long since I have seen or spoken with you--I regularly recommend your blog, however! I thought of you on Saturday when a gentleman named Richard Thibeault and his son stopped by the farm during chicken sales from 11-1, trying to find a home for two Barred Plymouth Rock roosters. The son, Paul, is a sincere young man who visited New Liberty as part of his 4-H program.

I know getting rid of roosters is a perennial problem, but these are not your average roosters. Paul, won grand champion with these 4-H babies. The only reason they are parting with them is that a family member is having a health issue their doctor thinks is chicken related. The roosters are well-behaved and the family is really hoping they don't end up in someone's stew pot. I told Richard that you were my best bet for getting the word out. I will also send this to the VanLehn chicken group and ask them to share the post. Richard's phone # is 937-322-5306. His e-mail is: rthibeault@woh.rr.com.

Since then, I have communicated with the Thibeaults and received the following information:

He’s a Barred Plymouth Rock; 1 ½ years old. He is a 4H project and so we want him to go to a home – not to someone who wants to eat him. That would crush our son.

In other chicken news, there has a groundswell of support for a Yellow Springs backyard flock chicken coop tour for this spring. A couple folks have asked me to be involved. It will be about time for a good cleaning and a fresh coat of paint anyway.

No comments: