Saturday, October 3, 2009

Yellow Springs going squirrely?

"What's with all these darn squirrels?!!" Laura Carlson asked on her Facebook page recently. Then a few Springers chimed in with squirrel stories.

"I left the front door wide open a couple of weeks ago, came in the front room and a squirrel was sat on the rug, he had a look at me and casually bimbled out again," wrote Karen Russell.

"Driving down Spillan Rd is like running the squirrel gauntlet!" Carlson added.

I got up from my computer and looked out my back window. There were six squirrels leaping and bounding in the grass.

So I started paying more attention. And sure enough, the squirrel activity in my own backyard (We live just around the corner from Spillan.) has reached a fever pitch. The huge black walnut that hangs umbrella-like over my chicken run and everything else back there is dropping its offerings at a record pace and the squirrels are running everywhere with nuts in their mouths almost as big as their heads.

Lately, they are getting smarter. They are starting to shell them where they find them, leaving the messy, rotting husks dripping black juice all over the place. Yesterday, one of them left one on the rail of my back deck, which also serves as a major squirrel thoroughfare.

It looks like we're in for a long winter.

No comments: