Friday, August 21, 2009

Got a story about navigating with your GPS? Tell it here!

Okay, here's another one:

We were down in Kettering near the corner of Wilmington Pike and Dorothy Lane the other night when it was so stormy. As we were heading home about 9:00 o'clock, there was lightning in the distance, but it had stopped raining and it looked like the storms had moved off to the east. I turned on the GPS and pressed the home icon. It directed us east on Dorothy Lane to I-675 and informed me that the entrance ramp to go north would be on the right. I was happy to know that as it was dark and I wasn't sure whether I needed to be in the left lane or the right.

As the nose of the car reached the ramp, Honey reminded me to turn right. Just then there was a flash of lightning and she started acting strange.

"Recalculating," she said. "Turn left on Woodcroft Trail. Turn left on Woodcroft Trail! "

It was too late for me to make any changes. And I knew I was headed in the right direction, in any event. Honey was acting as if I had missed the turn and was trying to get me back on track. I immediately decided that the lightning must have interfered with the satellite signal. Once we were headed north on 675, she settled down and she directed us the rest of the way home without further incident.

My other navigator, the human one in the passenger seat, was smug.

"Woodcroft Trail..? Hmph!" she said. "She's not so smart, after all."

If you have a strange or funny tale to tell about navigating with your GPS navigator, feel free to share it by adding it to the comments to this post.

1 comment:

Virgil Hervey said...

We were in Columbus on Saturday. There were road construction and resurfacing projects everywhere. When we tried to get on 315 South to head back home, most of the entrance ramps were closed. There were adequate signs and the GPS was on. Every time we had to make an adjustment in the process of passing four closed on-ramps, Honey would recalculate and head us for the next one. After awhile, Amy said she thought we should shut it off before we broke it.