Friday, December 4, 2009

Modern Art?????




A few days ago we visited the new “Modern Wing” of the Art Institute of Chicago. The Wing opened in May and it’s well worth the trip to see this spectacular building with 264,000 square feet of exhibit space. If you’re interest in more details on the Modern Wing, start here… http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/exhibitions/modernwing/overview

Modern art is a mystery to me – I just don’t get it. After a few hours roaming around the Modern Wing, it seems like I could have made most of that “stuff” in my garage on a Saturday afternoon. How difficult is it to paint a four foot square canvas all white?

Another favorite is the pile of sand in a corner with mirror tiles placed (carefully, I’m sure) here and there – certainly something to cause serious reflection on the meaning of life. And the hatchet stuck in a wood log has always been special for me – the time that must have gone into that one.

But my current number one favorite piece of modern art is a room in the new Modern Wing where the floor is covered with unfinished, 4 by 8 foot sheets of drywall – at least 30 of them. It looks like an unfinished construction project. And it changes from hour to hour because visitors get to punch holes in the floor as they walk through the room – the kids love it. One of the few times I wished for high heel shoe. This could be a good idea for some of the other modern art exhibits I’ve endured. If you go, watch out for the low hanging fluorescent lights.





I think I’ve figured out a couple of things about modern art.

First, you have to have a really good title for the work. “White on White”, “Sand”, and “Plastered” (the drywall floor) are good examples. “Untitled” seems to be a popular choice when you’ve used up all your creativity on the work itself.

Second, it’s only art if you can get someone to buy it or get a museum curator to feature it in a show. Otherwise, it really is just something you can build in the garage on a Saturday afternoon.

I’m ready to give modern art a try. This is the first time my work has been seen in public and through the magic of the internet, art lovers from Kosovo to wherever can enjoy it for a limited time, free of charge.

“Dark 1” is the first of a series and “Dark 2” is soon to be released.



A. Reader

2 comments:

Kay Riemers said...

Having followed the creative struggles of your long and varied career, I marvel at your courage! You could have settled for "Almost Dark", "Nearly Dark" and yes, perhaps "Just Gray" but nooooo.....
The rest of us are mere speed bumps on the road of your artistic acceleration. The world awaits your "Dark" series while understanding it may be decades in the creating.

Anonymous said...

Artist Comment. Kay - my art represents the juxtaposition of life and death and dark and light. We move from the dark to the light and back to the dark. Stay with me and we'll get to both "almost dark" and "nearly dark" and maybe even "off white". I'm glad that you understand the work. AR