Saturday, September 26, 2009

On compact flourescent lights (CFLs)

This from a reader:

Ok, these things are supposed to last a zillion years or something like that. Here’s one that didn’t make it – now what? Of course, just go to Google and get the latest information on how to safely dispose of them. A few clicks later I’m on an EPA page reading about Superfund sites that contain mercury – maybe that doesn’t apply in this case.

The next article explains that if you happen to break a CFL, immediately open the windows, leave the room for at least 15 minutes, shut off the furnace and a/c so the contaminates don’t spread and see the guidance on Superfund sites…..

Now I’m worried. I have the burnt out bulb in 4 layers of bubble wrap, in a padded box 50 feet from the house. I’m fairly proud of myself for not panicking over the situation when “the one who must be obeyed” comes home.

“What are you doing in the garden?” I very calmly explain the situation – no reason to get excited now that I have everything under control.

“Living Green on Xenia Ave, recycles CFLs – no charge.” They do?

“Get rid of the face mask and take the bulb to the store. And while you’re in town, we’re out of bananas.”

2 comments:

Virgil Hervey said...

I especially like the Rumphole reference. Ah, she who must be obeyed. I often use it myself.

cryptozoologist said...

greene county also takes these things. look here:
http://www.co.greene.oh.us/saneng/EnvServ/Hazardous_Waste.htm